When I learned about the toxins and harmful chemicals in cosmetics & personal care products, I was really surprised!
I went down a rabbit hole of finding information about how toxic ingredients were allowed in our beauty products (and household cleaning products).
This led me to throw out bags and bags of makeup, hair care, personal care products, and body lotions.
I didn’t want any product that wasn’t clean to touch my hair, skin or teeth. I became very strict with what I used but long term, I couldn’t keep up with this way of life.
Products that are super clean and pure are more expensive, and it’s not always practical to spend lots of money on a single item.
What is possible for me is to purchase non-toxic products as much as I can.
I try to be mindful of what I spend my money on and always look for organic, non-toxic products first.
I abide by the 80-20 rule which I do for eating as well:
80% of what I use is clean + green, the other 20% is conventional products
I think it’s important to be aware of what you are putting on your skin and know what to absolutely stay away from as much as you can.
When first setting out on your clean beauty journey, a good habit to develop is to simply check the ingredients listed on the cosmetics and skincare products you are using and start by looking out for the following 12 harmful ingredients:
12 Beauty Ingredients to Avoid
Can be found in almost every cosmetics, skincare, and personal care product category including lotions, shampoos, and cleansers.
Parabens have been linked to many health risks including hormonal disruption and breast cancer. Studies have shown parabens can also prevent the breakdown of estrogen.
2. Artificial Fragrance, Parfum
3. Coal Tar / Aminophenol / Diaminobenzene
Found in shampoos and scalp treatments, soaps, lotions, and mainly hair dyes.
Coal tar is a known carcinogen, and studies have shown that application of and exposure to coal tar produce skin tumors and neurological damage.
4. Formaldehyde / Formalin
Found mainly in nail polish, nail hardeners, and other nail products.
Formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing preservatives (FRPs) are absorbed through the skin and have been linked to cancer and allergic skin reactions.
5. Dibutyl Phthalate / DMDM HYDANTOIN
Found mainly in in hair shampoos & conditioners and can be found in body wash/cleansers and lotions.
DMDM Hydantoin can release or be contaminated with the known carcinogen formaldehyde.
DMDM Hydantoin is a known human skin toxicant and allergen.
Dibutyl Phthalate is a known human respiratory toxicant.
6. PEG Compounds / Polyethylene
PEG compounds have been found to open the pores of the skin, enabling environmental toxins to more easily enter the body.
Examples of these environmental toxins are DDT and DDE, both of which have the ability to influence the endocrine and reproductive systems. source
7. Triclosan / Triclocarban
Found in toothpaste and deodorant.
Exposure to triclosan has been linked to hormone disruption and increased risk of breast cancer.
Mainly found in nail products.
Exposure to toluene has been linked to reproductive damage and respiratory complications.
Found in sunscreen products.
Oxybenzone is a known photoallergen.
A photoallergic reaction occurs when UV rays (for example, when exposed to the sun) interact with the ingredients products applied directly to the skin. The body’s immune system recognizes changes caused by sun exposure as a foreign threat. The body produces antibodies and attacks, causing a reaction.
A photoallergic reaction can leave you with a rash, blisters, red bumps or even oozing lesions one to three days after application and exposure to the sun. source
10. Petroleum Distillates
Found in lipstick and mascara.
Petroleum distillates are banned for use in cosmetics by the European Union but is still allowed to be used in the United States. Currently, there is some, yet limited, evidence linking petroleum distillates to cancer and other health risks.
Found in skin lightening and skin brightening facial skin care products.
Hydroquinone is banned for use in cosmetics in Japan, Europe, and other parts of the world but is still allowed to be used in the United States. If overused, hydroquinone can kill healthy cells and chromosomes, which can lead to cancer and other health risks.
Found in color cosmetics, fragranced lotions, body washes and hair care products, and also found in nail polish and treatment.
Phthalates are banned for use in cosmetics by the European Union but is still allowed to be used in the United States. Phthalates are linked to endocrine disruption, developmental and reproductive toxicity, and has been known to be linked to certain forms of cancer.