I can’t go back to using chemical, toxic cleaners. Lately I’ve been cleaning with either Trader Joe’s all purpose cleaner or my own concoction which includes eucalyptus oil. I’ve been using straight up vinegar for windows and baking soda to scrub. And it works great, its all chemical free. I add some Tea Tree Oil to my mop water or Lavender. I really need to find more essential oils because they smell amazing and make the house so clean and fresh!
I signed up to work with Ava Anderson because they have incredible, non toxic household cleaners that are totally toxin free and utilize essential oils. And they work wonders! Here’s a link to check that out.
But if you want to make your own, go for it!
Here are some super easy recipes.
* Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vinegar in a spray bottle of water to clean counters, bathrooms, mirrors etc. I like to use a dash of essential oils to make it smell nice.
* Baking Soda or Cornstarch sprinkled on carpets helps absorb odors, its also excellent for non abrasive scrubbing- add a little sea salt if you need more scrubbing action.
* Olive Oil and Lemon Juice can be used to polish furniture. One cup olive oil plus 1/2 cup lemon juice.
* For a simple household cleaner, add 2 cups of water, 3 tablespoons of liquid soap and several drops of tea tree /eucalyptus oil in a spray bottle to clean surfaces.
* If you want to go a step further try infusing your distilled white vinegar with dried herbs or citrus peels. You simple add about 1/2 cups of herbs to 1/2 cup of vinegar in a jar and let it sit for about ten days, maybe two weeks. Shake it up here and there. At the end of your time, add a couple of drops of essential oil (these smell clean: tea tree, eucalyptus, lemon, orange, rosemary, peppermint, lavender) and a 1/2 cup of fresh vinegar. Shake and use!
Will you be making any of these? I can’t wait to get a hold of some lemon essential oil and make a few bottles of my own cleaner! I’ll be ordering essential oil from Mountain Rose Herbs!