I don’t know what happened exactly, it was like a slow morph into wanting to “green my beauty routine” which landed me here. Maybe its the fact that I’m trying to eat healthier and be better about chemicals, but I am really interested in learning about toxins and what’s in my makeup, skincare and haircare.
Every day I dedicate time to researching ingredients and looking up eco-friendly, natural, green, organic beauty products. Often these products are a little difficult to find, more expensive, and less likely to send samples for review purposes.
It’s way easier, cheaper and more convenient to run to Target or CVS and grab makeup when I need it. I still love my L’Oreal Paris products (mascara and lipgloss especially!) and I used to simply buy what I needed without struggling over lists of ingredients and trying to understand what’s good and what’s bad. Did you know that labeling a product ‘natural’ or ‘dermatologist tested’ doesn’t mean the product is free of nasty chemicals and cancer causing toxins? You really have to take time to learn the beauty jargon!
Right now I’m using mostly organic beauty products but I’d be lying if I said I was 100% chemical and toxin free. I think switching up a beauty routine takes time. Its always important to know what’s in your skincare, hair products and makeup, be informed. You don’t have to be a radical and start making your own cosmetics, but start small, learn about common ingredients, make decisions accordingly. Here is a good place to start.
I found this list and I’m posting it here so you can give it a quick look and learn a little something.
TOP 20 LEAD-TAINTED LIPSTICKS
1. Maybelline Color Sensational (125 Pink Petal): 7.19 ppm
2. L’Oréal Colour Riche (410 Volcanic): 7.00 ppm
3. Nars Semi-Matte (1005 Red Lizard): 4.93 ppm
4. CoverGirl Queen Collection Vibrant Hues Color (Q580 Ruby Remix): 4.92 ppm
5. Nars Semi-Matte (1009 Funny Face): 4.89 ppm
6. L’Oréal Colour Riche (165 Tickled Pink): 4.45 ppm
7. L’Oréal Intensely Moisturizing Lipcolor (748 Heroic): 4.41 ppm
8. CoverGirl Continuous Color (025 Warm Brick): 4.28 ppm
9. Maybelline Color Sensational (475 Mauve Me): 4.23 ppm
10. Stargazer Lipstick (103c): 4.12 ppm
11. Revlon Matte (009 Fabulous Fig): 3.32 ppm
12. Sonia Kashuk Luxury Lip Color (27 Mauvey): 3.12 ppm
13. Avon Beyond Color (558 Mad For Mauve): 3.08 ppm
14. Avon Endless (530 Mauve Amour): 2.87 ppm
15. Revlon ColorStay (375 Ripened Red): 2.84 ppm
16. Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer (d Toffee): 2.81 ppm
17. Revlon Super Lustrous Pearl (631 Luminous Pink): 2.81 ppm
18. Revlon Super Lustrous Pearl (643 Satin Plum): 2.77 ppm
19. Cover Girl Continuous Color (595 Iced Plum): 2.74 ppm
20. Stargazer Lipstick (101c): 2.71 ppm
Some of you may not care about chemicals in your beauty products, some of you will stick with the luxury brands you love and others may not want to give up your favorite makeup despite knowing its full of “bad stuff” and I understand on all fronts. We can explore natural products, still see what’s happening with our favorite drugstore makeup and take it day by day. Thats how I eat and exercise, on a day by day basis, not going too crazy but taking it slow and steady.
I’m going through all of my makeup and reading ingredients, making my own choices. I really have been digging natural makeup, skin and haircare, and will probably swap out the majority of makeup in my drawers for safer alternatives. What about you? How do you feel about the subject?